It has been noted in many writings that the study of history is significant in strengthening a nation’s foundations, especially those that relates to the socio-political aspects of a country or society. Like many other historical writings, it is imperative to note that problems are inevitable. In my point of view, such problems persists due to the nature of historical studies itself which requires one to study the past especially in the field of social research. Such problems include limited sources for reference, incomplete and limited evidence and reliability of information. For this study alone, although there are some literatures that mentioned about Brunei’s nomenclatures and its backgrounds, still there are needs to make cross referencing between literatures and oral traditions to come up with strong hypothesis.
Awangku Harizan Pengiran Haji Piut
Akademi Pengajian Brunei
Universiti Brunei Darussalam
About the Author:
Awangku Harizan Pengiran Haji Piut is a Lecturer at the Academy of Brunei Studies UBD (University of Brunei Darussalam), Jalan Tunku Link, BE 1410, Bandar Seri Begawan, Negara Brunei Darussalam.
For academic interests, the author is able to be contacted via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brown, D.E, ‘Elites in the Sultanate of Brunei from the 19th Century to the Eve of Independenc’e, in Mohd. Taib Osman, Prof., Datuk, Dr., Haji & Abdul Latif bin Haji Ibrahim, Haji (Ed.), (1996), Prosiding Seminar Antarabangsa Kesultanan Melayu Brunei di Nusantara, Brunei: Akademi Pengajian Brunei, pp.666-680
- Djoko Suryo, ‘Kesultanan Melayu dan Identitis Nasional: Kes Kesultanan Mataram Di Jawa’, in Mohd. Taib Osman, Prof., Datuk, Dr., Haji & Abdul Latif bin Haji Ibrahim, Haji (Ed.), (1996), Prosiding Seminar Antarabangsa Kesultanan Melayu Brunei di Nusantara, Brunei: Akademi Pengajian Brunei, pp.510-517
- Hashim bin Haji Abdul Hamid, Haji, ‘Sistem Pentadbiran Tradisi Brunei: Satu Analisis Awal’, in …, (1999), Masa Silam Saranan Masa Depan, Brunei: Jabatan Pusat Sejarah, pp. 145-156
- Pengiran Ahmad, Dato, Haji (n.d), ‘Gelaran-gelaran di Brunei’, …,
- Saunders, G., (1994), A History of Brunei, Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/nomenclature?view=uk (browsed on the17th March 2009)
- http://mahadislambrunei.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/terasul-dan-bahasa-penggantidiri-bahasa-dalam/ (browsed on the 17th March 2009)
- Historiography Of Titles In Brunei Darussalam
How to cite this article?
Awangku Harizan Pengiran Haji Piut. (2010). Historiography Of Titles In Brunei Darussalam. Janang Bil:11 Bandar Seri Begawan: Akademi Pengajian Brunei