In the GenNEXT system, there are different classifications of modules
- Degree Core – These are modules which all students registered for a particular degree programme of a Faculty must read and pass in order to satisfy the graduation requirements.
- Major Core – These are compulsory modules which all students registered for a particular major must read and pass in order to satisfy his/her graduation requirements.
- Major Option - These are modules which are offered as part of a major and count towards the depth requirements for graduation with a major. The number of modules which a student must read and pass varies across the different programmes. (Please refer to the major requirements of the different programmes in the Faculties)
- Compulsory Breadth – These are modules that all students must read and pass to satisfy their graduation requirement. MIB and the Islamic Civilization and the Modern World module are compulsory breadth modules. The two Communication modules are also compulsory breadth modules.
- Breadth – These are modules which students are free to choose to read and pass to satisfy the breadth requirements of their degree. They can be taken from within the Faculty or across Faculties.