Islamic and Intellectual History (Brunei Darussalam and Southeast Asia)
Qualified applicants are invited to apply for a position in Islamic and intellectual history at the Academy of Brunei Studies (ABS), a multidisciplinary research and teaching centre concerned with all aspects of life in Brunei Darussalam relating to the humanities and social sciences. As part of its research focus, ABS also undertakes comparative and multi-country studies and research on the wider Southeast Asian region with a particular interest in Borneo.
- Applications must have a PhD in history, demonstrate a strong background in the Islamic and intellectual history of Southeast Asia, and a good knowledge of Brunei.
- A proven record of teaching excellence at undergraduate and graduate level.
- An excellent international publication record, commensurate with experience. This excellence should be reflected in Scopus, Google Scholar, and book publications.
- Demonstrate successful application, completion and leadership of research projects and their outcomes and a detailed future research plan, both short term and long term.
Other Preferred Qualifications:
- Potential applicants should have strong academic expertise in Islam and professional involvement through leadership. The successful applicant will be expected to devise and lead research projects relating to Brunei and Southeast Asia that include staff from ABS and other faculties.
- Evidence of service and contribution to the domicile university (s) in terms profession and leadership and professional organizations outside university, editorial activities etc. The successful applicant is expected to contribute to the Academy's administrative activities and community services.
- Evidence of integrating technology or using other emerging technologies in teaching, some experience of on-line teaching and the methods used. Teaching experience in both Malay Language and English Language, at undergraduate and graduate level, would be an added advantage.