Associate Professor Ampuan Dr. Haji Brahim bin Ampuan Haji Tengah
BA (UBD), MA (SOAS, London,), PhD (National University of Malaysia)
Associate Professor Ampuan served as Dean of Student Affairs (2002-2005) and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (2006-2008) and Director of the Academy of Brunei Studies (2012-2016) at UBD. He was a member of the UBD Senate from 2002 until 2008 and reappointed as a member in 2012. He was a member of the UBD Council from 2004 until 2009 and again from 2012 until 2016.
In 2003, he was appointed as a member of the International Advisory Board of the journal Indonesia and The Malay World, a position he still holds today. He joined the Editorial Advisory Board of Atikan: Jurnal Kajian Pendidikan in 2011 and is also a member of the Brunei Asian Literature Council (MASTERA).
Associate Professor Ampuan is active in several Non-Government Organisations, such as the Brunei Writers Association (ASTERAWANI) and the Brunei History Association (PESEBAR).Over the past decade, he has been invited to speak on literature at several universities and language institutes in Indonesia and Malaysia. In addition to his academic work, Associate Professor Ampuan has written several acclaimed novels.
Classical Malay literature: history, genres, poetics and criticism; Folk literature: documentation, genres, oral theory and criticism; Philology, (editing and text criticism); Literary theory; Research methodology; Cultural studies; Creative writing.
Researching, Collecting and Analyising the Manuscript of the Rajang Belief which are kept inside and outside (Kuala Lumpur, Leiden and London) Brunei Darussalam
Researching and Collecting Data for the wiiting of the history of Universiti Brunei Darussalam
- “A Preliminary Study of Traditional Malay manuscript, Silsilah Sultan Muhammad Syafiuddin “ Kertaskerja persidangan ASEASUK Conference 2012, Durham University, UK, 7-9 September 2012
- Diskusi tentang Resolusi 2012 “Merumuskan Hubungan Serasi Melayu Serumpun Dalam Merajut Persebatian Melayu Sedunia” anjuran Balai Kajian dan Pengembangan Budaya Melayu, Yogyakarta, 20 Januari 2012.
- “Karya-Karya Budaya Hamka: Mengangkat Bahasa Melayu Sebagai Bahasa Satu Nusantara” Seminar Nusantara Buaya Hamka. Anjuran ATMA, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 8-10 Disember 2011.
- Pemikiran Muda Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien dalam Syair Perlembagaan Negeri Brunei. Seminar Serantau Sempena Jubli Emas Perlembagaan Negeri Brunei 1959. The Core Universiti Brunei Darussalam. 17-19 Jun 2011.
- “Sumbangan Penyair-Penyair Brunei yang Pernah Merantau Kepada Perkembangan Kesusasteraan Moden Brunei”. Merantau Imagining Migration in the Malay World, International Seminar in Honour of Prof E.U.Kratz. Anjuran University of Frankfurt, USM dan UBD. University of Frankfurt Germany, 30-31 March 2011.
- Kesusasteraan Brunei Moden: Pemikiran dan Ideologi Pengarang”,. Seminar Antarabangsa Kesusasteraan Asia Tenggara (SAKAT), Anjuran MASTERA, Hotel Santika Jakarta Indonesia, 29-30 September 2010.
- “Orang Melayu dan Dunia Perniagaan: Satu Pembicaraan Budaya”. Seminar Trade and Finane in Malay Historical & Cultural Perspectives. University of Frankfurt Germany, 17-18 Jun 2010.
Southeast Asian Writers Award, 2005